Graphics cards makers expect ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, to gain market share in the third quarter as a result of ATI Radeon HD 4800-series graphics processors launch. But while there is overall optimism regarding market performance of ATI’s novelties, it is unlikely that the roll-out that occurred in the end of Q3 will dramatically impact market share.
For several quarters not ATI/AMD’s share on the market of desktop discrete graphics adapters was 35%, whereas Nvidia outsold the rival 2:1 and commanded 65% of the market, according to Jon Peddie Research. Taiwan-based graphics cards makers, which remained anonymous, said to reporters from DigiTimes web-site that they expected AMD to increase its share to 40% of the market in Q3 2008, a rather optimistic prediction.
The expectations may overestimate the impact of the ATI Radeon HD 4800-series release since it occurred in the end of the quarter and could hardly reach ATI’s partners in massive quantities. Nevertheless, if forthcoming launch of ATI Radeon HD lineup decreased the pace of sales of Nvidia GeForce lineup, AMD could well gain market share.
AMD’s graphics product group did not comment on the news-story.
- Nvidia Believes in Further Growth of Graphics Processor Market.
Nvidia Boosts Orders to TSMC, UMC Amid Graphics Processor Market Slump
- Market of Standalone Graphics Cards Collapses in Q1 2008 ?Jon Peddie Research.
Customers Switch to Cost-Effective Graphics Cards in Q1 2008, Say Analysts
- Market of Graphics Adapters Drops, but Still Stays on High Levels ?Jon Peddie Research.
Analysts Expect Market of Graphics Adapters to Further Soften in Q2 2008
- Shipments of Discrete Graphics Cards on the Rise, but Prices Down ?Jon Peddie Research.
Average Selling Prices of Discrete Desktop Graphics Cards Continue to Plummet
- Shipments of Graphics Adapters Set a New Record in Q4 2007 [CORRECTED].
ATI Continues to Lost Market Share from Intel, Nvidia ?JPR
- Discrete Graphics Cards Back in the Game, Says Jon Peddie Research.
Market of Standalone Graphics Cards Sets Record in Q3 2007 ?JPR
- Nvidia Continues to Gain Graphics Market Share, AMD Keeps on Downfall ?JPR.
Graphics Market Up 20% in the Third Quarter, Says Jon Peddie Research